Easy Chicken Dinner – one pan.
Place rinsed chicken breast or thighs in pan. Drizzle EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) all over. Add Wine (red or white) OR orange juice OR lemon into the pan. About 1/2 cup of wine or 1/4 cup juice. Chop (chunky pieces) up potatoes or cauliflower, carrots, onions (just a bit), garlic (lots!) and add to pan. Mix with the juice/wine and oil. Cover the chicken in Dijon mustard – be liberal. Sprinkle entire contents of pan with paprika (lots), cumin (just enough to have a sprinkle – more on the chicken), black pepper, thyme, if you have fresh rosemary, add a 2 or 3 sprigs for extra flavour. Add capers on top of the chicken, it’s okay if a few roll off. Add lots! They are delicious with Dijon mustard. Bake/Roast covered at 350℉ (180℃ or Gas Mark 4), for approximately half an hour (half the time). Uncover and cook until done – browned. Bone in chicken will take about one hour. Boneless will take less time. Cover for only half the time!
Enjoy with a salad or a side of green vegetables!
And here’s a green vegetable idea I made up the other day …
Green Beans, fresh or frozen, whichever you can find! As many as you need – approx. 1/2 cup per person.
Crush some cashews or used slivered/sliced almonds. About 1/3 cup per cup of green beans.
Sesame oil to generously coat pan.
Balsamic vinegar or Lemon juice or Orange juice. Tsp. of Balsamic or 1 tbsp. of Lemon or Orange juice per cup of Beans.
Coriander – crushed.
Black Pepper – a sprinkle will do.
Garlic, chopped. Doesn’t have to be diced up small. Chunky will do. As much or as little as you like.
Fresh Cilantro, Parsley or Basil, chopped up and added after other ingredients have begun to cook.
Add all ingredients into a pan, medium-low heat. Cover for 5 – 10 minutes (depending on how much you have in the pan). Remove cover, add fresh herbs, increase heat to medium-high and stir-fry until done. About another 5 minutes.
Optional: Red Pepper – diced. One Hot Pepper, fresh or dried, cut in half. Only 1 hot pepper, first time I made this, I added 3. Love heat but not THAT much!
Sun-Dried Tomato – about 1 tbsp. per cup of beans … tomatoes will dilute the flavour of the beans if you add too many.
A few fresh green/spring onions … scallions, chopped fine and sprinkled on the beans before serving.
This green vegetable dish would be great on a date night – I’ll tell you why in the book!
Which wine to serve? A crisp Sauvignon Blanc, an unoaked Chardonnay or a Pinot Noir … 🙂
This dinner will leave you feeling light, sated, relaxed and full of energy for the night ahead … The foods used for this menu are flavourful, nutritious and are said to have aphrodisiac qualities … Perfect for a romantic meal!
Watch the video!
Here’s what you will need:
1 Squash; either butternut or acorn
2 Halibut Fillets
8 Spears of Asparagus
1 Ripe Tomato
1/2 Cup Dairy & Gluten-Free Chocolate Chips or Chunks
1/4 Cup Frozen Blueberries
2 Tbsp. Frozen Raspberries
Parsley or Fresh Basil
4 Scallions/Green Onions
Balsamic OR Apple Cider Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cayenne Pepper (or pimento)
Dry Mustard Powder
Thyme, Oregano OR Basil
2 Cinnamon Sticks
3 oz. Grand Marnier
1 oz. Amaretto
1. Wash the squash on the outside and cut in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. Place cut side up on a pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon. Flip over so cut side is down. Place in oven at 350° for approx. 45 minutes. It is done when you can easily press it with a spoon. Remove, scoop out “meat” and any liquid remaining in pan, place in bowl and mash/whip until light and fluffy.
Cooked Butternut squash
2. Cut Tomato in half (not through stem part but through the middle). Place in a small pan, cut side up. Sprinkle a little water on the bottom of the pan – not on the tomato! Place in oven with the squash for only 20 minutes. Remove and set aside (still in pan!).
3. Snap off woody ends of Asparagus and save in a freezer bag, (great for soup broth!). Wash and lay in a pan – single layer. Place in oven at the same time as the Halibut.
4. Wash Halibut, arrange in a pyrex or corningware dish that just fits it – not too big of a dish. Pour approx. 1/2 cup (or more) white wine over all. Drizzle about 1 Tbsp. olive oil, sprinkle liberally with paprika and add a light dusting of mustard powder. Chop up the parsley and green onions, sprinkle over each piece of fish. Place in oven with asparagus when the squash is almost done (10 minutes of cooking time left). Fish and asparagus will cook for approx. 20 minutes.
5. Before removing and mashing squash, add approx. 1 Tbsp. frozen raspberries to 2 Tbsp. olive oil in an ovenproof dish and set in oven for 2 – 3 minutes. Arrange salad greens in a pretty bowl. Remove raspberries from oven and mash – carefully, add at least 1 tsp. or more of thyme, basil or any herb you like, add 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt/pepper (if desired) and pour over salad greens just before serving.
6. Mash/whip the squash.
7. Remove the asparagus and place in a serving dish, a little olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, shake of black pepper and a sprinkle of oregano or thyme.
A few slices of peppers added but not necessary!
8. Place tomato on top rack, 4 inches from broiler. Move halibut to very bottom rack. Put broiler on high for 3 – 5 minutes – watching carefully, don’t want to burn the tomato halves, just brown them! Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a little fresh garlic before or after cooking (or not), or a little pinch of salt & pepper.
This dinner takes less than an hour to prepare, from start to finish, which gives you time to set the scene and pamper yourself!
Dinner is served with the remaining wine – plenty to savour. Dessert is served with a Blueberry Tea – in a cup or large brandy glass, pour 1 1/4 oz. Grand Marnier and 1/2 oz. Amaretto. Add one slice of fresh orange – rind and all, and one cinnamon stick. Pour orange flavoured tea slowly over the cinnamon stick. I like to drink a bit and add more tea – keeping it warm and flavourful for a long lasting night cap!
Speaking of Dessert … 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks, 1/4 frozen blueberries (or fresh if available), 1/2 oz. Grand Marnier, a 1/2 tsp. of vanilla and a small pinch of cayenne pepper. All in a small pot, set on low until it all melts and blends together. This can be poured over dairy-free ice-cream or a baked banana. Make it the night before and spoon into small cups lined with parchment paper or muffin tin liners. Leave to set and enjoy a lovely, soft, creamy, libido enhancing treat … Enjoy! Chocolate mixed with pimento is a true aphrodisiac!